Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Freegans part 33

Ben
Kestrel led us into a small alcove, and tapped part of the wall. To my surprise, it slid away, revealing a hidden cavern! He brought us inside, and tapped the wall again, closing it. Lucy gratefully sank to the floor in exhaustion. Kestrel said, "We'll wait here until reinforcements arrive."
"Reinforcements?" asked Cara. "There are more of you?"
"Of course," Kestrel said with a smile. "You didn't think I was the only Resistance member, did you?"
"Well, no," she admitted. I noticed that Madiza was sitting on the ground too. She had her chalk out, and was writing again. This time it caught me by surprise. She was writing over and over the number 112. Kestrel had noticed it too. His eyes widened.
"112?" asked Matt, staring at it. He looked up at the Kestrel. "Does this mean anything to you?"
"Maybe. But I can't explain right now. Later."

There was an old paraffin stove and some provisions in the cavern, and the Kestrel soon had things rather nice and cozy. He produced some sleeping bags when we were done eating, and Lucy (of course) was the first to crawl into one and fall asleep. Matt and Cara soon followed, and I didn't keep my eyes open for much longer. The sleeping bag was wonderfully comfortable, much better than the old pile of rags I'd slept on for the past five years. Madiza was now drawing cross sections of several different eyes, and I left her to it.

I woke abruptly, after what seemed not a long enough amount of sleep. The Kestrel was still keeping watch, and Cara and the others were still asleep. I realized what had woken me. Madiza had dozed off some time previously, and was now tossing and moaning.
"No...no...no, you can't have it! No! Go away! It's mine! My preciousssss!" The last word came out in a loud hiss. She snapped awake, eyes wide. Her eyes darted this way and that before she suddenly realized, "Oh. It was a dream." Then she lay down and went back to sleep. Kestrel raised his eyebrows at me. I shrugged; things like that had happened so many times that I was used to it. Kestrel asked, "Does she always do things like that?"
I nodded. He then asked, "Do you know why she can do that?" He indicated the chalk drawings. I got out my notepad and wrote, 'It's because of the experiments the government did on her, right?'
He replied enigmatically, "Basically, yes." I was about to ask on paper what he meant, but suddenly the door to the cavern began to open!

No comments:

Post a Comment