Ben
For a while all I did was watch Madiza draw. I could tell something was wrong, because her hands were trembling slightly, and she was writing an essay in Latin. That only happens when she feels agitated. I reached out and touched her shoulder. She stopped her frantic scribbling, and looked up at me. Her green eyes were bulging with fear.
Hey, are you okay? I signed at her with my free hand. Madiza had taught me sign language, but we didn't use it that often, unless I had no writing materials handy. She replied, No. Well, not really. If you want to know the truth, Ben-ben, I'm really scared. I'm expected to turn off the Drones of Golden Light, for crying out loud! It was clear that she was in one of her more lucid moments. She looked down, and suddenly stuffed the chalk in her pocket.
I don't know if I can take all this pressure, Ben! she signed. I reached out and put an arm around her bony shoulders.
Madiza, I signed with my right hand, you're a genius. You know the KillCode. And we'll all be here to protect you. You'll be fine.
She smiled at me gratefully. Thanks, Ben-ben. But what happens afterward? What will they do to us? They seem nice, but who knows what their real motives are?
I pulled her close, leaning her head against my shoulder. Gently I began to rock back and forth, hissing through my teeth. It was a guaranteed way to calm her down.
No comments:
Post a Comment