Cara
My life, what I could remember of it, flashed before my eyes. I know, that's an extremely cliche phrase, but that's what I experienced. I had memories from when I was seven, doing the project with Matt and Lucy...that time when I was twelve, and Matt accidentally hit me in the head with an old croquet mallet, giving me a concussion...the time when I paid him back (accidentally, I assure you) by breaking his nose with a badly aimed hockey stick...the first time I saw Madiza... There was other stuff too, lots of it, but I don't feel like revealing it all right now. I need to keep some things secret, you know.
Anyway, things looked bad. We were trapped like rats. There was nowhere to go, as we could see the leader of these soldiers (the guy in the red cap again-how I utterly detested him at this moment!) talking into a walkie-talkie, calling the Drones. The Drones! Suddenly, my heart gave a leap of hope. I remembered how Deep Thought kept tinkering around with them. But how many had he got? What if they got overwhelmed? My heart gave a sink of despair.
"Well, well, looks like the Resistance has been run to earth at last," Red Cap was saying. Great. Not only had he captured us, but now he wanted to gloat about it! I gave a small sigh. Why couldn't he just get it over with?!
"You have no idea how long I've waited for this moment. Frankly, I'm surprised there are so few of you." The dude strode forward, surveying us. The soldiers pointed the business ends of their plasma rifles at us, as a deterrent against any funny business.
"There are far more of us than you know," said the Ox coldly. He refused to show any signs of fear, for which I felt a wave of respect.
"Oh, I know that. But the way I see it, if you strike a major blow at the heart of an animal, the rest of it slowly dies."
Oh, now he was making irritating metaphors. I could feel my irritation rising. This was odd. I didn't feel afraid at all. Instead, I was just plain mad. We had not come all this way, and gone through so much, just to be stopped by some idiot who thought he was the next Benjamin Franklin!
Matt looked at me, and I knew that he could see I was planning on doing something stupid, because he gave an anxious shake of his head no.
I gave him a look that dared him to try and stop me. He gave me one in reply that said he would, if he had to pinion me to the floor. I shot back a look saying that we were probably going to die anyway, so what was the harm? Our facial argument was interrupted, when from behind us there was a loud blasting sound!
One of the soldiers fell to the ground, a gaping wound in his chest. We turned, and gasped as around thirty Drones came floating out the doorway, and began firing on the consumerists. I shot a glance at Deep Thought. He had a humongous smirk, like the cat that swallowed the canary. However, I had more important things to think about, like running like heck for the submarine, so I didn't spend much time looking.
No comments:
Post a Comment