Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 21, 2012

TANSTAV part 31

Chapter 9 part 2

I wasn't sure whether or not to be glad there was no one else around.  Because on the one hand, it meant we were going into the lion's den unprotected, and nobody would know where we were; on the other hand, if there was anyone who happened to see us, and Fleming noticed, he would probably kill or capture them, too.  So maybe it was for the best.

We were taken at gunpoint into his house (it looked like any other house on the street, except for the fact that it had two lightning rods instead of one-odd), and then had to stand against the wall in the hallway while Jessup tied our hands behind us, with enchanted unbreakable ropes.  I hated feeling so helpless; it reminded me too much of back when I had been living with my parents, and at my father's mercy, so to speak.  Stupid, stupid, stupid!  Why hadn't I looked for the possibility of a trap?!

It's because you're too impulsive, Tristan, the nagging voice at the back of my head said.  You need to learn to use your head for something other than to hold up your ears!

Shut up, I told it.  This isn't helping.

Well, what do you want me to say?

I don't want you to say anything.  Didn't you hear me just tell you to shut up?

At that moment, Jessup shoved me in the back with the gun, ending (temporarily) my internal conversation.  Must have been very frustrating for him, having me within his grasp, and unable to do what he wanted to me, merely acting under the orders of a crazed mage.  That is, if he was even aware of anything that was happening.  You never can tell with hypnotized people.

The five of us left the hall, and entered the living room-only the living room was gone.  The furniture had all been moved out, and the place was basically bare, except for what looked like a sacrificial altar in the center of the room, surrounded by five cages.  Inside two of the cages were the senator, and the Fonin!  Both of them looked the worse for wear; they had lost weight, and were distinctly shabby.  They stood at the bars of their cages, staring woefully out at us.  Two other cages contained a Ghul, and some small, strange, dark creatures of the phylum Annelida inside a glass container full of water.  The fifth cage was empty.  Something about their positioning made me wonder...I looked down, and saw that the cages were set at each of the points of a colossal star drawn by chalk, inside of a giant circle.

You have got to be kidding, I thought.  This guy is using a pentacle!

(In magical jargon, a pentacle is a symbol of a star inside a circle, and apparently has magic properties.  Can be used for summoning things, among other dark rituals.  Very commonly used during the Renaissance and medieval ages.  There has been some doubt as to their effectiveness, as they are very unwieldy objects.)

Fleming gestured to Jessup, who began leading Xen and Calla over to a wall by the side of the pentacle.  Thinking maybe he'd forgotten me, I began to follow.

"Not you, Wormwood," said Fleming.  "You come over here."  He gestured to the fifth cage.

"What?  Why me?"

"Why did you think I tried to kidnap your girlfriend?" he asked disdainfully.

"Uh, technically, she's not my girlfriend, and I assumed it was for whatever you were doing to the others," I replied.  I was beginning to see where this was going.

Ignoring me, he continued, "It was to get to you.  I needed you to complete this experiment, and knew you would do anything to keep her safe."

"Why couldn't you just use Xen?" I asked, staying where I was.

Looking impatient and annoyed, Fleming gestured to the cage imperiously with the splatter gun.
"I wasn't going to use her dirty half-breed blood!  I need a full gargoyle, and you were the closest one available!  Now get in the cage BEFORE I HAVE JESSUP BLOW HER AND THE GIRL'S BRAINS OUT!!!!"

I gritted my fangs at the slight to Xen's heritage, but I slowly went to the cage, stumbling a little on my way.

Once inside the cage (which he neglected to lock, probably because I was bound), I asked, "Before you do-whatever it is, can I ask what you are planning to do to us?"

Fleming grinned wickedly, taking the opportunity to rub his wounded side.

"You, my dear Wormwood, are going to be the final piece in this great revolution of mine.  I now have the strength of a troll, the shapeshifting powers of a Fonin, the fangs and tracking ability of a Ghul, the near-impenetrable skin of a gargoyle, and the bloodthirstiness of leeches!"

"What about Jessup?" I asked, gesturing over to him with my head.  He was still guarding the girls, his face still blank.  You know, without his sardonic grin, he was a bit nicer-looking.

"The demon?  I need his body."

I raised my eyebrow.

"Does that sound as disturbing to you two as it does to me?" I asked the girls.  Xen nodded, while Calla just stood there, looking frightened.

Fleming glared at me.

"He is going to be the host."

"For what?"

"Using all six of you," he said, gesturing to my fellow prisoners and the demon, "I am going to create," his voice rose to an incredible pitch in his excitement, "A VAMPIRE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment