Total Pageviews

Friday, August 5, 2016

Season of the Witch part 10

Very disoriented…
My head hurts…
Okay, where am I?  Need to figure that out.  To start with, open my eyes.
Blink.
Instant, blinding, colorful, multi-faceted light.
Return to blackness.
Okay, bad idea.  Better to keep my eyes shut.  Wherever I am, there’s a lot of light, ugh.
I’m sitting up, in what feels like a chair of some kind.  An old-fashioned, high-backed chair that isn’t doing my tail any favors.  Or my wings, come to think of it...they’re going to get really cramped if I’m here long.  Can I move?  Try.
Slight shifting.
No, evidently not.  I’m tied to the chair somehow; it feels too strong for normal ropes, so probably magical.  The ropes are around my wrists, and ankles, so I’m bound to the arms and the front legs.  It’s starting to get a little uncomfortable.
Probably going to get a lot worse.
No voices anywhere within my hearing range, but do I dare call for help?
Open mouth, try to use vocal chords.
Nothing.
Feels like there’s some kind of spell in my throat that keeps me from speaking; even more effective than a gag.  Shoot.
Can I maybe wiggle the chair around?  Try tipping it over.
Shove, shift, push.
No good; I think it’s bolted to the floor.  That probably means I’m going to be tortured...being alive for all these years, Mr. the Deathless probably has an extensive knowledge of methods of persuasion.  This is probably going to hurt.  I’ll just have to hold out for...for...oh my gosh, how long have I been kept here?!


I felt a sick wave of horror crash down in my stomach, before slowly rising up my throat and into my ears.  What if I’d been in a sleep stasis or something?  For all I knew, centuries had passed, and Calla had become the official property of Baba Yaga-
Why would he keep you here for that long?
Maybe he forgot about me.
...Not entirely impossible, but let’s not jump to conclusions just yet.  Try to think that there’s still time left.  Assuming I get out of here alive.


I was there for hours, feeling my limbs grow progressively more numb and cramped.  A few times I dozed off, sleeping fitfully, but for the most part I just had to sit and worry, and wish I’d been able to say a better goodbye to Xen and Phil (among others), and wonder if anyone would ever be able to recover my body.
Finally, I felt my fur stand on end as a spell was enacted, and someone appeared in the room, right in front of me.  Someone who smelled like every old person in the world blended together, as well as vodka, magic, a sharp tang of blood, and an overlying malice.  I squinted my eyes open, and barely made out a shadowy form before the pain of the light forced me to shut them again.  I heard a tongue clicking against teeth, and then a heavily-accented male Russian voice.
“Agh, you gorgul’i* and your sensitive eyes.  Fine, maybe this will help.”**
A few seconds later, I felt some glasses being placed over my eyes.  I opened them a tiny bit, in case this was a trick; but no, they really were shaded.  With a sigh of relief, I opened my eyes all the way, and found myself staring into the face of Mr. the Deathless.


Like Baba Yaga, he was thin and old.  Unlike Baba Yaga, whose hair was a mixture of gray and white, Koschei’s hair and long, full beard were mostly black, though still streaked with gray.  Which made sense, considering that he was younger than her by a century or three.  His eyes were very dark and penetrating, the kind of eyes that women find terribly compelling and attractive in a younger man’s face.  His clothes were more modern than Baba Yaga’s: a very expensive suit with the military look common to Russian aristocrats, and nice leather shoes.  Granted, he also had a fur-lined robe, and what appeared to be the crown jewels from some bygone era adorning his (extremely) bony frame.  As I scrutinized him, I couldn’t help thinking that he seemed almost...washed out.  No, no, that’s not the right word-drained, hollow.  Like he’d had the vitality sucked right out of him, and was now only the shadow of what he’d once been.  Extracting your own soul and hiding it away for hundreds of years will do that to you.


“Why did you try to steal this from me?”
Mr. the Deathless lifted Kladenets, which had been at his side, and brought it right up under my chin.
Really?
I gave him a look to remind him that I was rather incapable of answering any questions at the moment.  Even so, it took him a moment to realize his mistake, after which he gave an exasperated sigh, and waved his other hand towards me.  The feeling in my throat vanished, and I gave a little cough of relief once I knew that I could make sounds again.
“Why did you try to steal this from me?” Mr. the Deathless repeated, as if he thought I hadn’t heard him the first time.
“You’d be surprised what one of them things will go for on the black market,” I lied, taking on a northern Russian dialect.
Lowering the sword, the old sorcerer reached out and smacked my cheek with the back of his hand.  Despite the weakness of his frame, he packed a bit of a wallop, and I could feel my cheek stinging from it.  It even appeared that some of his rings had been hard enough to cut me open a little.
“Do you expect me to believe that someone like you, with no powers to speak of and only a few fancy gadgets, would dare attempt to steal from me?”
“It was the last thing you would expect,” I argued, which technically wasn’t a lie.


Koschei narrowed his eyes at me thoughtfully.  After a second, he asked, “Who sent you?”
“Nobody.”
Thwack.
“Who sent you?”
“Nobody.  I got the idea on my own.”
Thwack.  This time on the other side of my face.  If he thought this was going to break  me, he’d have to try a lot harder.  Sure, it hurt, but I’d experienced pain before.  Getting slapped several times had nothing on getting shot in the stomach.  I sat up straight again, keeping my face carefully neutral.


“Fine.  You won’t tell me the truth on your own?”  Koschei reached inside his robe, pulled out a glass vial filled with blood red liquid, and pulled out the cork.  “I’ll see if you’re lying or not.”
I resisted.  Even though I knew it was futile to do so, even though I knew that whatever I did, I was trapped, and that Koschei was going to get that substance into me whatever I did, I tried to squirm away.  It was instinctive, probably anyone else in my place would have done the same.  And sure enough, the sorcerer waved a hand at me, freezing my head in place.  Then he pried my jaws open, and poured the entire substance down my throat.


I don’t know if any of you have ever been force-fed a potentially poisonous potion by a homicidal, practically immortal sorcerer.  It is decidedly unpleasant.  And it didn’t help that as I was forced to swallow it down, I realized that it was actual blood.  Not any blood I was familiar with, but blood nonetheless-that sharp, coppery tang is hard to replicate.  And gag and choke though I might, soon enough I had drunk it all.


Koschei stood back with a satisfied smile.
“Do you know what I just gave you?”
He released the spell that had kept me frozen, allowing me to shake my head numbly.
“Phoenix blood.  If cooled to room temperature, or at least to the point that it is safe to swallow, it renders the one who drinks it temporarily compelled to honesty.  Once it takes effect, you couldn’t lie to me if you tried.”
I didn’t know phoenix blood did that.  Cool; I’ll have to remember that for the future.
My head was starting to feel heavy-in fact, my whole body was sort of heavy and sloshy all over, like it feels after you’ve just eaten a big, hearty meal.  That didn’t bode well…


“I’ll ask again.  Who are you working for?”
Still speaking in my Russian accent (because he hadn’t specifically said anything against that, or even appeared to realize that it wasn’t my native language), I murmured dreamily, “Baba Yaga.”
“I knew it!”  Koschei gave a triumphant little cackle.  “I knew that old letuchaya mysh’*** couldn’t resist if she found out I had it!  Ha ha, perfect!”  Then he looked at me thoughtfully.  “The question remains, what am I going to do with you?”
“Please don’t...kill me,” I murmured.  Talking, even if I had to talk honestly, was kind of difficult.  Especially in a different language.
“Can you give me a compelling reason why I shouldn’t?”
“...Hard to say...with one so...old and powerful.  But I need...that sword.”


Despite himself, I could tell Mr. the Deathless was curious.
“What for?”
“To save...someone important.”
His eyes rolled.  “Let me guess: wife?  Girlfriend?”
“No...assistant.”
The eyes stopped mid-roll, and focused back on me with some confusion.
“No romantic relationship at all?”
I shook my head-or at least, I lolled it in such a way that I decided to count it as shaking.
“Not with her.”


Silence ensued.  Finally, Mr. the Deathless murmured, “That’s certainly a novelty for a hero.”
I tried to snort and say that I was no hero.  For some reason, the words would not leave my lips.  So instead I stared at him and tried to determine what he was planning to do.
I wasn’t naive enough to think that my reason for stealing the sword would convince him to let me go.  And I had nothing to threaten or bribe him with, either.  I was completely in his power, which meant that my situation looked pretty bleak.


My suspicions were confirmed when Koschei stood up straighter and said, “Until I decide what to do with you, I’ll have to leave you here.  So just...sit tight.”
Chuckling at his own bad joke, he twitched his hand at me, and I felt my throat clog up again.  I strained ineffectually against the spells binding me to the chair, as an image flashed through my mind of Calla, thirty years from now, being Baba Yaga’s slave, helping her to take over the world or something.  And it would be my fault for not stealing that stupid sword.
Koschei vanished, leaving me alone with these dark thoughts.  At least he’d also left me the dark glasses, so I didn’t have to keep my eyes closed.

*Gargoyles
**Just for convenience’s sake, I’m going to translate most of his words into English, okay?
***Bat

No comments:

Post a Comment