Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Freegans part 16

You may have been wondering what was happening with my story. Well, just so you know, I have been waiting for a special guest writer to give his part, so here it is!

I carefully made my way around the corner, being sure not to hurry. My uniform was impeccable, as I knew, but I still had the desire to break and run every time I saw a fellow soldier, or even when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Max had been clear about this, had warned me beforehand how it would be, had made me practice walking calmly over and over again. I was more grateful then ever for her intelligence and foresight.
Two guards passed me, laughing about some holonet vid they had just seen. I gave them a bored glance, remembering to keep my stride even. One, two, one, two. I got to the stairs down and slowly opened the door to the basement. I closed the door behind me, turned, and slowly let out my breath. They were gone. They had found the tunnel, and they had taken Project 112 with them. I quickly ran to the cage, opened it with the key copy I had made, and did my best to hide all traces around the stone which hid the mouth of the tunnel. As I did so, I wondered how much time I could give them before reporting them missing... The guards had seen me on my way down, but they would be at break and the new guards wouldn't know how long I'd been down. I decided I could wait for another five minutes at the most. I quickly hid any tracks and relocked the cage, trying to get ahold of my excitement. I couldn't wait to tell my friends. "Run, kids, run," I whispered under my breath.
As I waited, I began to worry about the small group. As the Ox and I had been digging the tunnel earlier this month, he had almost fallen down a sudden dropoff. I hoped the children noticed the warnings we had put up around the pits and around the dead ends. Hopefully, they would also find the food and tool caches we had left. I got up and started up the stairs to sound the alarm, taking care to quicken my breathing and paste a look of surprise on my face.
Chalk one up for the Resistance.

1 comment:

  1. I have never read anything by Dante, however I did see part of the opera of
    Inferno on PBS a few years ago. My favorite card games are Kimp, War, Old Maid, and yes, Go Fish. I have never tried to play Solitaire, and honestly have no desire to. My favorite color is turquoise. I also like aqua ( almost the same thing), teal, moss green and red. What about you?
    No offense, but I think it's a waste of time to tie cherry stems into knots with your tongue. I think I might have tried to do it once, but I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete