Lucy
When we got back to camp, Matt went to where he lived with his dad, and Cara and I went to our camp. Since Cara doesn't have a family, she lives with me, and has even gotten into the habit of calling my parents Mom and Dad. It's kind of funny. She was shuffling her deck of cards, and I looked at the sweater. It really was kind of pretty.
"Uh-oh," I said suddenly. "What is it?" asked Cara. "I forgot to get something for Danielle. She's going to have a meltdown," I said, rolling my eyes. Danielle is my eleven-year-old sister, and she's prone to be very emotional about the silliest things. It's kind of annoying. Scratch that: it IS annoying.
"Hmmm," said Cara. "Do you think that she would like a pack of cards?"
"I doubt it. She has been wanting me to find her a nice pair of red tap shoes. I don't know why."
"Maybe she wants to learn how to tap dance."
I smiled. The idea of Danielle, who is almost as clumsy as I am, tap dancing, was so incredible that I couldn't possibly imagine it.
My other siblings are Andrew, age fourteen, Monica, age seven, and Ricky, age three. All of them seem to enjoy driving me absolutely crazy. There are times when I swear Monica is evil. No, I'm not kidding! She has attacked me with a baseball bat when I haven't given her her way!
Andrew, Danielle, and Ricky all have blond hair that most girls would give their own right arms to have, but I don't care that much. Even though I hate my hair, I wouldn't want it to be blond. Cara just doesn't care about hers. If it were up to her, she wouldn't even bother to brush it in the mornings. However, I usually make her.
Sure enough, Danielle was shocked and horrified when I didn't present her with a pair of lovely red tap shoes. She made big, artificial tears swell up in her eyes. My own rolled, as I turned and called for Mom to come help me. When she heard about the situation, she said, "Danielle, you know that you don't need tap shoes. They're ridiculously impractical, and besides, there's nowhere to dance in them here. They'd only sink in the mud."
"But-but-but I WANTED them!" Danielle wailed. "Ssh, you'll get them someday. Now please don't act like Ricky right now. Come and help me with dinner."
"Thanks, Mom," I said as she ushered the annoying debutante out. She smiled and winked slightly. When they had gone, I turned to Cara, who during the meltdown, was sitting on the ground playing solitaire with her new cards. "How do you do that?"
"Do what?" she asked without even looking up.
"Just sit there patiently and play cards like that! We are in danger of being ratted out, and you act like nothing happened!"
"That's because nothing DID happen, Lucy," Cara said.
"But they saw us! They knew we were Freegans! They could get us captured by the police!"
"You're being all upset over nothing. There is no way they could find us-" Cara was interrupted by a pounding on the door. A voice yelled, "Open up! This is the police!"
Hi,
ReplyDeleteGood story. I'm curious to see where it leads.
I just caught an inconsistency that I thought you should know about. In part 1, you wrote:
I snorted, and then picked up an old blue jacket that matched Lucy's eyes.
"This might fit you, Lucy-it just needs to be washed," I said.
but in part 2, you wrote this:
She was shuffling her deck of cards, and I looked at the sweater. It really was kind of pretty, and did match my eyes.
As monotonous as it can become, I find it extremely helpful to go back and re-read what I've already written before posting the next part. It's so easy to forget what you wrote before or to change your mind, then forget to go back change the previous post so it matches the new one.
Is that better?
ReplyDelete