Lucy
When they came back, it was with a hypodermic needle in Gwilliam's hand. I felt my heart leap into my mouth. He held it up to my face, and pressed a little on the syringe, letting some of the burgundy liquid inside drip out.
"Do you know what this is, Freegan?" he hissed. I shook my head wordlessly.
"It's a highly developed toxin. Just one drop of it in your system is enough to kill you. And I warn you, it would be a long, agonizing death. If I wanted, I could stick you with it right now. By the time it had done its work, you would be begging to tell me what I want to know."
I swallowed nervously. Then the vice president smiled, showing even white teeth.
"However, killing you would be too easy. So you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to inject one of your friends instead. That is, if he or she doesn't give me the information instead. I would do it now, but to show you what a generous person I am, I'll let you have an hour to say goodbye to whichever one I choose." He nodded to the guards. "Take her away."
As the guards freed my wrists and got ready to take me away, I snarled, "We won't tell you anything, scum!" It came out very squeaky and weak-sounding, not like I'd intended. I'd been meaning to sound more like Cara would in my situation. She is probably the bravest person I know, and also the most impudent.
Despite not coming out all that impressive, it had the desired effect. Gwilliam turned red, and hit me in the face again.
"Oh, you're very brave, hitting someone who can't fight back! You disgust me!"
"Get...her...out...of...my...sight!" the vice president snarled through his teeth. Inside I felt a slight satisfaction at being able to get a rise out of him. It was instantly quenched by a feeling of dread. I had just given either Matt or Cara a death sentence!
No comments:
Post a Comment