Lucy continued
Just then we touched down on the top of a landing site by a tall building. The next thing I knew, we were being roughly dragged from the net by several big men, and dragged through a trap door and down a long flight of steps. My legs had fallen asleep during the flight, and I offered no resistance. Matt and Cara didn't do much either, probably too weak. They pulled us down, down, down, finally going through a door and into the basement. It was dark down there, and I could hear water dripping. One of the men clicked on a flashlight, and shone it in my face. I squinted, turning away from him.
"What do we do with them?" he asked. One of the others replied, "Let's put them in with the other two rats for a while. Maybe they'll finish them off and save us the trouble." They had a good chuckle over that. I was less than amused. Then one of the others got out a ring of keys, and walked over to a big cage in the corner. I hadn't noticed it before, mostly because I'd had a bright light shining in my face. He opened it, and then the guys holding us dragged us over, then threw us into the cage. I landed on my face, which really hurt, and then someone else landed on top of me.
There was a loud clang as the door slammed, and then the sound of our captors walking away, and a final slam as the door to the basement was closed. For a few seconds there was silence. Then I said aloud, "Would whoever is lying on me please get off? I'm finding it hard to breathe."
"Sorry," said Matt's voice, and then I felt the weight move. I sat up in the dark, and put out my hands, feeling around.
"Where are we?" I wanted to know. "We're in a cage, Luce," said Cara's voice sarcastically.
"I KNOW that, I just meant... forget it." It was then that I heard a sound coming from another part of the cage. It was a scraping, scratching sound, like something waking up that had been asleep for a while. There was a loud yawn, and then the sound of a match being struck. A light appeared, causing me to squint. When I could look at it, I saw that it was coming from a candle. The candle was held in a hand, attached to an arm, belonging to a person. This person was a girl. She looked at us in surprise, then suddenly gave a loud, cackling laugh.
"Wakey wakey, Ben-ben! We've got fresh meat tonight!"
No comments:
Post a Comment