Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Freegans part 12

Cara
When I woke up, I found myself curled into Matt's shoulder. He was still asleep, and I held still, so I wouldn't wake him up. Remembering what had happened earlier, I felt hot with embarrassment. I don't like crying in front of people, preferring to go somewhere else and do it in private, and now I had just made an emotional scene right in front of Matt! It was especially embarrassing, since I always try not to act emotional in front of my friends. Maybe it's because I don't have parents, but I always feel this need to act tough, and not to show weakness.

Out of the corner of my eye I surveyed our fellow inmates, noticing that my eyes seemed to have grown accustomed to the darkness. Madiza was curled up in a ball, whimpering and rattling her chains in her sleep. Ben was still meditating. Lucy wasn't back yet. Just then Matt stirred, and woke up. Looking at me, he asked, "Do you feel better?"
I nodded, blushing. However, there was no mockery in his eyes, only genuine concern. That made me feel a little better.
"Sorry about that," I said. "I acted silly, and-"
"Ssh. It's okay. Everyone loses control once in a while," Matt reassured me. I smiled weakly. Then my mood was improved a little more by the guards coming back and throwing Lucy into the cage. Though cut and bleeding on one side of her face, she was alive. That was all that mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment